At Highland Hat Blocks we are committed to preserving the environment.
The product used is now green coloured XPS Board. Our Hat Blocks are then hand carved. Any waste materials is re-purposed as a loose insulation material.
We also use recycled newspaper in our packaging so please take time to glance at the random pages for an insight into events and stories of Bonnie Scotland.
Highland Hat Blocks - Material
We create Hat Blocks made from Extruded Polystyrene (XPS) green coloured foam board which offers high long-term durability and excellent strength.
Please note Styrofoam - (EPS) Expanded Polystyrene the traditional white polystyrene used for packaging is a different product.
Used in the same way as wood apart from using dress makers pins which makes pinning easier.
How to Care and Use your Millinery Block/s
To ensure a lifetime of use I have listed below a few considerations: -
- Always cover the block in clingfilm before use.
- On our XPS Blocks we recommend using silver dress makers pins for fascinators or smaller blocks and 30/32mm coloured headed ones for brims, crowns & hatinators making sure you insert the pins all the way in to hold the material.
- For awkward shapes such as the pork pie blocks try pinning a pre-cut length of grey household electrical wire covered in clingfilm into the groove.
- Although low heat can be used on the blocks due to the nature of the material please avoid using excessive high heat.
- The blocks over time will stain this is normal and does not require any special cleaning.
- Use stiffeners and varnishes in the usual way. N.B. Due to the large amount of chemical stiffeners on the market we recommend you test on a small area first.
- We do not recommend placing our blocks in ovens and microwaves.
Highland Hat Blocks can create any block in any shape or head size. Please send in your images or drawings to email@example.com and we will quote accordingly for your special hat block.
We apologise in advance if we happen to use an image without prior permission. This is simply an oversight and will be removed as soon as you contact us.
We regularly share images via our Instagram and Facebook pages of designs sent by our own customers for you all to see.